Trailer Update: Finally Some Progress I Can Show
December 14, 2011 § Leave a comment
After doing nothing but unscrewing hundreds of nuts for several work days I finally have some progress I can show! With my dad’s help I got half of the boards taken off last night! I was hoping to have this stuff done sooner but, as with most projects, there are a lot of things you can’t really account for. This is one of those. In buying the used trailer (home-made at that) you never know what you’re going to get. A whole bunch of the bolts were bent or all ‘crapped-up’ (that’s the best way I can put it) so they were more difficult than expected to take off. I could have gotten a brand new trailer and I wouldn’t have to deal with this but for this size trailer it would have been a couple thousand dollars more, so the extra hours of work are worth it. I did realize I need to go back through my preliminary schedule here soon and re-adjust. I didn’t have any time in there for getting the trailer ready but obviously there is some so it’s all going to get pushed back. So, I can’t work on it tonight unfortunately (I have ‘real life’ stuff to get done, like laundry and dishes and making Christmas gifts) but on Thursday I should be able to take the remaining boards off and really see what I am working with for a foundation.
First board is off!
Second board is off!
Dad is under there with his Saws-all chopping off the ‘crapped up’ bolts.
First blood of the whole project, I am amazed that it didn’t happen sooner! I scraped the trailer… I am sure worse wounds are ahead! (hopefully I get to keep all of my fingers though…)
The boards are gone… well half are.
It is difficult to tell but my work cloths are filthy! When I shower at night the water runs black… 🙂
My next steps are, like I say, Thursday to take the remaining boards off. I then need to go pick up a couple new leaf springs for the third axle to be installed. I need to figure out how to integrate my foundation exactly with this particular trailer (details to come soon). I will weld (with the help of my amazing family members) the third axle on. I think since I am at the welding part I may try to tackle the gooseneck portion of the trailer too. I haven’t posted to much about that because I really am not sure what all is going on there yet… but I will! I may need to adjust some of the structural steel on the trailer too, we will see as I figure out how I try to integrate with the trailer, I may have thought of a way around that.
In other news, I may have a sponsor for some tile also… I started my ‘Sponsors’ link in the upper right menu so that you can see who all has supported me through this project. That’s it for now