I have been busy taking apart pallets. Nathans pallet ripper works like a dream!
Here is the other pallet. This is just the first step of the pellets. I am going to buy a planer and plane the top layer of these down and get them all the same thickness. Then I will need to cut them to nominal dimensions so I can have continuous rows around the house. Then I need to stain them and cut as i go putting them up.
Of course I couldn’t just stop at the 40 pallets I took apart. My guestimation was that I needed about 30 more and there just happened to be a guy who posted that he needed to get rid of about 40 pallets about an hour before I was leaving to pick them up. Perfect timing and Nate helped me grab these last Saturday. I should be good to go on siding and you can’t beat free… there are even a couple of oak pallets in this batch, and lots of other variations of wood, I am excited to see how differently these accept the stain. I still have the feeling it will look awesome!
I did a little bit of work on my garden this weekend and cleared out some weeds. All of my plants are doing very well and I should start having some fruit here soon! Thanks mom for taking care of things while I stay way too busy with other things…
I got one more piece of roofing on this weekend, I picked about the worst week yet for it, its been above 100 degrees every day this week. I can only get a small amount done before its so hot I have to give in to the heat…
You can also see a crack here between where the two pieces butt up against one and other, this is ok because I picked up some elastomeric paint that I will paint on that gap followed by using a sealant and screwing in 2x2s (which will become the meat of my trellis system) and flashing them.